Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Getting To Know The Band Part Two

Well, as with Hollywoodland, this summertime season sees this blog being all about the sequels - part twos galore!

After the amazingly well-received first edition of band facts, I did my best to politely decline fan requests for shirt-sizes, birthdates and favourite types of cheese of my bandmates (ok, Dev's is gouda, hell we all love gouda, let's get that out of the way) to focus on way more important items of interest to tickle your sun-addled brain.  So, without further ado, here are more deets of the men who sell themselves and their wares as The Lonesome Weekends.


On celebrating summer

Prpich: Shovelling tons of gravel and working on my tan, simultaneously, along with pitching my new family tent.
Hat: Weeding gardens, blaring 329% more reggae than usual from the backyard boombox, and thinking of ways to explore sun and nudity and get away with it like my kids in the paddling pool.
Dev: Quitting my job and taking an early retirement, just for summer.
Ty: I get out my motorcycle for this time of year.  Of course when it gets real hot out I keep my Scandinavian ass sedentary in an attempt to not melt away.  It's a losing battle.  (Watch the melting in action at a festival show very soon - ed.)
Marsh: I'm not.
Sleights: I just bought some internet, but the internet is lame. I have been working hard, but will celebrate on my trips this summer. Marsh & I will see Dylan and Wilco in St. Paul next week.


Music currently grooving to

PrpichWhispering Bill Anderson, Nick Lowe, Bonnie Prince Billie, Dwight Yoakam.
HatDevendra Banhart Mala MalaJuana Molina Un Dia, Cesar Evoria, Big Sugar.
Dev: Sixto Rodriguez and Ratatat.
Ty: Empire of the Sun Ice on the Dune, Charles Bradley and the Menahan St Band No Time for Dreaming, The James Hunter Six Minute by Minute (seriously, I can't say enough about this record. It's as if Ray Charles and Sam Cooke got together and had a bastard English baby. I have to thank Babs for the find!)
Marsh: Tim McCashin.
Sleights: Patti Smith Easter - she's a poet, a seer, the Wanda Jackson of the 1970s


Thoughts on Thriller

Prpich: It always grosses me out, how MJ's bones are sticking out of his wrists on the album cover....disgusting!  And baby tigers?????
Hat: It makes me rethink my recent reassessment of Paul McCartney, though half of it is awesome. I used to think Sir Paul was only capable of syrupy schlock, then I got McCartney, Ram, and McCartney II. However, "The Girl is Mine" makes me violent. Perhaps those three were the exceptions to the rule? Anyways, "Beat It", really, cannot be beat. Listen to it again and shake your tail feather.
Dev: Mmmmmm, isn't that a ride at the Melfort fair?
Ty: It's alright but it's no Off the Wall.
Marsh: No comment.
Sleights: It's the Jurassic Park of records.

 
Cake or Pie? Why?
 
Prpich: Cake, cuz it's cake! And b/c most people can't make pie.
Hat: Pie, b/c it is way more sexy than cake.  Think about it.  You know I am right.
Dev: Pie, cuz I've had bad cake but never bad pie! 
Ty: Unfortunately, for me these days it's neither (gluten/carbs), so.....coconut milk ice cream!
Marsh: Chips.
Sleights: Pie, b/c it's less sweet than cake, and if I need less of anything in my life right now it is sweetness.



The best part about being a musician is.....

Prpich: Playing with Hat's wife.
Hat: Meeting a wonderful assortment of people that dig what I/we do - hey, it doesn't happen often in life, in any context - so I totally soak that in as much as possible.  Also, making a joyful noise by all means possible, but mostly electronic keyboards.  Oh, and knowing that even with lugging gear, I/we win everytime compared to anyone golfing (except par 3 of course, that's awesome).
Dev: No matter how often you tell yourself "I'm getting too old for this", you keep playing.
Ty: Most likely the sex...buth then there are those drugs too...oh and the Rock and Roll...hmmmmm.
Marsh: Drinkin' beer and makin' friends.
Sleights: Manipulating sound waves.


Alright then, satiation from band info is nearly complete!  Let's give the drummer some respect and end off with a little bit of The James Hunter Six.  See ya soon!

 
 
 
 
 
Hat

No comments:

Post a Comment